Thursday, May 10, 2012


     Well people this is going to be a bit too much detail about my tummy so get ready. After FHTs big DNF I was hoping to come out of Long Cane stronger than ever, but sadly that did not happen. My pace plan for this run was to run each 10 mile leg in 1hr and 30min. that would put me at the end in under 5hr with aid station stops and the extra miles that come with running one of Terri’s events. Hoping to set a new CR (course record) the old one was 5:13:00. That morning I woke up excited to get on the trail, but my BUTT was working agents me.
     As Bo and I pulled in to the park I almost puked and my stomach was in knots.  Before the race started I was able to chat with friends for a bit and see some new faces some better looking than other. No offence guys but 103 was out of site BAZINGA!!!!!!!!! The race started and I took off. Jeff took off past me and I ran up to keep up with him. I ran with him for a bit talking and joking around for a bit, but had to speed up for my pace plan. Hitting the first 10 miles in 1:33:00 I was going to have to speed it up just a bit. My gut started to cramp really bad and I could feel myself slowing down but pushed passed it as the gas pushed past me.  Sorry for anyone that was behind me at this point. At mile 15 Jeff was back behind me and dealing with the gas chamber that was coming out of me. At mile 20 it was getting over whelming. I got some paper towels from that aid station and was cramping so bad that I had to get help filling up my water bottle.  I caught back up to Jeff after yelling out HUNNY YOU SAID YOU WOULD NEVER LEAVE ME. I was hoping some joking around would take my mind off of it. The 2nd  10 miles took 1:39:00 I was slowing but not too bad. This was a really easy trail. No real rocks or roots. Smooth for the most part not any hard hill to overcome kind of boring really. I heard some people talk about how technical it was. I thought to myself “they have to be joking” but it’s all relative to what they are used to. If they think that trail was technical they have a rude awaking if they keep running trails. (not to offend anyone) that was the 2nd smoothest trail 50k I have ever been on. At mile 22 my gut took over and I could not hold it anymore. Jeff said something along the lines of dude I have to go around you. I moved over and then hell hit. I ducked into the woods and it was game on. I was able to walk/run to aid station 5. When I got there I sat there for about 30 min hoping that my gut would chill out. I got some more paper towels and took off. As I was leaving I saw Dan coming up and he put his hand out as to pat my gut. I think he may have seen the fear in my eyes and pulled his hand back. It he would have given me a good game tap that would have been the end. At mile at mile 27 back in the woods squatting. I walked the next 2 miles trying to keep it tight if you know what I mean. At mile 28 it hit again but was all out of TP. Looking at my socks I was thinking well gonna have to finish sockless. I hit mile 29 and there was Allison. I remember looking up and thinking God. I asked if she had any TP and she handed me a little that he had and backing in the woods I went. It was so bad tears started coming out of my eyes. It was one of those soft serve kind of days. As I hit mile 31 I remember thinking well here comes the Terri miles. Hoping to be at the end soon I ended up coming up on Viktor’s mom as she was out on the trail taking pictures. I knew I was close to the end and so happy.
     When I got to the end I sat down and tried to get my gut under control. A couple more bathroom breaks and I seemed to have gotten past the worst of it all. My final time was  6:31:52 I ended up 21st overall. So in the end it took me longer to walk/run/poo the last 10 miles than it did to run the first 22. Jeff ended up first and setting a new CR with a time of 5:08:02 not sure if I would have gotten past him in the end but would have loved to see a sprint for 1st. There were a lot of new Ultra runners out there and it’s always good to see the sport grow. I had a good time just sitting around and talking with everyone and watching our friends finish there runs. In the END it was a good day. I can look back now and find it funny but at the time I was using A LOT of four letter words.

No comments:

Post a Comment