Translate

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bad Marsh Night Ultra - Getting Ready


     The Third Annual Bad Marsh 50k Night Ultra is a part of the 2013 Lowcounty Ultra Race Series. The event took place on Saturday June 22, 2013 with a 6:00pm. The course features a 4.5 mile loop of the old Marsh Golf Course. The cart path has been removed forming a perfectly laid trail. The race also features a single aid station at the start/ finish line which you pass after each lap. Since the race begin at 6:00pm all runners are required to have a headlamp or a handheld flash light in their possession prior to dusk.

     This was to help me understand more about what I may need or want during Cremator 50 miler. Pace plan, food, water and some other crap that we runners need to work out. I have been listing to a lot of podcast and stuff like that lately to try and help with getting ready. Why suffer when someone knows and you can learn from them.

     



     
     The start of the race the RD Tim Waz gave his words and took a few pictures before he sent us on our way. I was running with Richard (who had just did a podcast for Lowcountry Ultras) and Andy.  I was having fun just talking to Richard about running and catching up with Andy. Running a nice 8:40ish pace and feeling good. At the start of the 2nd loop Richard decided to back off the pace and Andy and I just stayed moving. About a mile into the 2nd loop I steeped on a pine cone and jarred my ankle. I thought no big deal just keep moving. By the end of the loop it was killing me and I had slowed down a lot. As I pulled into the aid station I asked if anyone had an ace rap and what do you know the RD Tim pulls some KT tape out of his bag and wraps my smelly, sweaty foot. You don’t get that at many events. The RD dropping down and wrapping a runners stank ass foot. That is just one of the many things that make the Lowcountry Ultras crew so great. Their getting pretty high-tech with their stuff too. They had a live feed of each runner and each loop on a flat screen so everyone could see and live updates with some link if your friends and family wanted to check in on you.
     Well I started the 3rd loop thinking if it does not help ill drop. In Richard’s pod cast( http://www.lowcountryultras.com/Podcast.php ) he said you have to decide if it’s worth hurting over. Well I was there for Cremator so no it was not worth hurting myself to the point of not being able to run that event BUT the KT tape was wonderful. No more bone pain just a light puffy feeling. I was able to pick the pace up until about a mile into my 4th loop when the tape came loose. Tim said because of how sweaty I was he was not sure how long it would hold. After the 4th loop I sat down and thought well if I jog/walk I could still hit a 6:30 finish. I started the 5th loop and well bad idea. So I said the hell with it and walked.

     I DNF’ed with 5 loops but I was not there to race or try and PR I was there to get some information for Cremator and well I learned a lot and got to see a lot of friends and meet some new ones. So win win for me.

      











     Well what did I learn? For Cremator start out real slow. After the 4th loop I could feel my legs getting really tight and that was from the heat/lack of enough water. I will need 20+oz of water every 3 miles taking it in slowly and steady. I got the shorts worked out so they don’t chafe my sack. I will need to run with my try top so my underarms don’t chafe. That has to be better than running with my elbows out. Use KT tape on my ankles before I start these runs I turn them a lot and WOW does that stuff help. 
  
     This is something from Richard’s facebook he posted today and I think it is amazing and wanted to add it to this so I can come back and look it over.

There are relatively few ultramarathon runners who continue to runners ultras for more than a decade or two. This number also is inversely proportional to the speed of the runner at their peak. 
I believe this is due to the same cascade of emotional states that are well recognized in the reaction of a person to the loss of a loved one. 

DENIAL

I'm not that old, l'm different, just because I am x age can't mean I have past my prime. I am an ultramarathon runner, the rules of normal human physiology don't apply to me. I'm super human.

Some runners quit at this point.

ANGER

Denial eventually gives way to anger.

When performance begins to decline the runner blames himself for lack of discipline or training. He might blame nutritional or equipment choices or just plain old bad luck. Whatever the object, the feeling of anger predominates.

Some runners quit at this point.

BARGAINING

Okay, I'll eat better, get more sleep and give up beer.

Okay, I'll only race three times a year and nothing over 50 miles.

Okay, I'll get better gear, watch my hydration an calorie intake during races and I'll go out slower too.

Nothing works.

Some runners quit at this point.

DEPRESSION

I'm done, I can't run a decent ultra any more. What's the use of going out there and slogging along at a fraction of my old speed. 
Even (name your favorite back of the pack runner) will be able to beat me soon. 
People will either feel sorry for me or be laughing behind my back. 
It just doesn't make any sense to run any more ultramarathons.

Many runners quit at this point.

ACCEPTANCE

Hey, it never made any sense to most people to do ultramarathons in the first place. 
I'm getting old. So what, so will everyone else eventually. 
I still love being out there. Aging may take away my speed and good looks, but I'll be damned if I'll let it take doing Ultras away without a hell of a fight.

Those who make it to this point stay with the sport for decades…………….


I myself would like to stay in this crazy sport of Ultra running for as long as I can. 

Who would not want to hang with these guys. 

Me and Rich

Rich, Andy, Tim, Me, Merle (Merle won with a 4:04:41)

Kissing Andy's pelican for luck


2 comments: